We are watching more video than ever before, with video users expected to reach 1.5 billion in 2016 and with predictions that 74% of internet traffic will be video by 2017.
Beyond the amount of traffic alone, there are some fundamental reasons why video is becoming so attractive. The main ones are:
- Videos create more “buying ready” customers – 96% of consumers say videos help them with their buying decisions. -Animoto
- Videos create more engaged consumers – 4 times as many shoppers would rather watch video about a product than read about it – Animoto
- Videos can accomplish more in less time – Using the word “video” in an email subject line boosts open rates 19%, click-through rates by 65% and reduces unsubscribes by 26% – Syndacast
- Videos cut through the clutter – Adding a video to company update on LinkedIn increases the changes of being shared by 75% —Smashing Pixels
- Videos are great for SEO – replacing an image with video with video on the landing page increases conversions by 12.62%—Visual Website Optimiser
- Videos are easy to share – Social Video generates 1200% more shares than text and images combined – Brightcove
Put simply – videos sell. They sell your services, your products, your brand and your commitment. But if you don’t “do them right” then you actually run the risk of the videos damaging your brand and creating increased attrition rates.
So what are the elements of a quality video that enable you to connect capture and convert your viewers?
Connect – Have a strong purpose & message
The first place to start is to ensure you have a robust strategy:
- Why am I doing this video? To find, sell, convert, or keep your customers?
- Whom is this video for? Know your audience (intimately)
- What message am I trying to get across with the video? Brand awareness, product demonstrations, case studies, how-to’s, FAQ’s, tell your story……
Capture – Intimate Customers Knowledge
Make sure you know your targeted audience intimately and ensure your videos have the following elements:
- They want an emotional connection – Focus on stories that delight, surprise,entertain, etc.
- They Engagement & Quickly you’ve got just 10 seconds to grab their attention.
- They want answers to their questions/problems
- They want the video to feel like you are JUST talking to them – It’s not about you, its all about THEM (WIIFM – What’s in it for me!)
- They want simple clear message: One problem = One message = One video
- They are LOOKING for good videos to share – and they will share ….think how can my video help them to gain social currency.
Convert – Give your video wings
Find opportunities to publish/market your video wide and far. Upload your videos to Youtube, Vimeo, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Google Plus and anywhere your customers are ‘hanging out’. Send the video out in an email to your database, play it on a loop at a conference…the opportunities to share your videos are endless.
But make sure you measure how many views you’re getting and delve deeper to find out when and why the viewers click off. Use this feedback to perfect your video marketing strategy.
Video Production is a learnt skill. It takes time to understand how all the elements come together to create impact, so start small, build a robust strategy and message, choose the right platforms to market on and just do it!