It’s past time we all finally learn that running a successful company in today’s business climate is unimaginable without having a strong online presence.
In our post-pandemic world, people extensively use the internet to discover, engage, and shop from brands. As a matter of fact, over 50% of customers use Google to discover new bands and products.
To ensure customers find what they’re looking for, search engines have developed a multitude of algorithms that rank businesses according to their reputation, reliability, and originality. Everything they publish goes into that evaluation and ranking.
Luckily, experts constantly study these algorithms and discover practices that any business can implement to reach all of the following:
- Accumulate a large number of visitors
- Improve user experience
- Raise brand awareness
- Maximize competitive advantage
- Turn ordinary visitors into promising leads
- Promote more products and services
- Sell more and grow revenue
This practice is called SEO (Search Engine Optimization), and it’s extremely important for driving organic traffic and scoring top rankings for websites on search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.
Below, we’ll overview the most effective SEO tips that are applicable to any type of website. Practicing these tactics will ensure you develop an effective SEO strategy that will help you bring in more traffic and increase revenue.
The Fundamentals – Business and Customer Research
First things first, you can’t start tweaking your website before you make solid conclusions about which direction you’ll take your site in order to reach your desired audience. Analyzing who you’ll target is also a very important segment of your initial SEO strategy.
To begin, conducting thorough research about your niche, competition, and target customers will provide comprehensive results that will teach you about your further actions.
Your competitors’ strengths are a good indication of which of their practices to use in your own strategy. Similarly, their weaknesses are also a lesson to learn what to avoid. Their shortcomings can also be a revelation on how to get ahead of them.
Other important tactics in this regard include:
- Creating buyer personas to realize what content is most suitable for your customers
- Outlining the benefits of your products and services
- Defining clear goals and KPIs (key performance indicators)
- Setting a budget to complete your goals, if necessary
Targeting the Right Keywords
The easiest way to understand how keywords help your website rank higher is to factor in your customers’ search intent. Imagine how they search for your products and services and use that throughout your content.
Keywords can either be single words or longer phrases. Evaluating your target audiences will reveal how they search.
The best practices in this regard include:
- Targeting only several keywords. Focusing on too many might confuse search engines in terms of what your business and products are actually about.
- Excluding words that have multiple meanings
- Avoiding highly competitive keywords. Google Trends is a good tool to determine competitiveness.
- Using a keyword research tool. There are many excellent options out there. The Keyword Planner by Google and the Keyword Generator by Ahrefs are two of the best free keyword research tools.
Once you’re confident with your keyword choices, go ahead and implement them in your content.
There are also several rules on how your content should be optimized to help your website rank high. Remember, the most important SEO factor regarding content is quality. Developing high-quality content is what search engines appreciate the most.
Other important SEO tips regarding content include:
- Outlining content topics that promote your targeted keywords
- Focusing on readability and clear voice
- Using headings and subheadings to make long-form content easily digestible
- Organizing content in small paragraphs while using enough white space and bullet points
- Including visuals such as images, videos, and infographics that are relevant to the subject matter
When mapping out the architecture of your site, you need to ensure that it aligns with all the latest SEO norms. Technical SEO is a standardized procedure that will help you properly format everything on your website.
Search engines regularly crawl (visit and audit) your website. To make sure they don’t leave with a bad impression, incorporate the following tactics:
- Create an XML sitemap
- Remove duplicate content and dead links
- Ensure your URL structure is clean and concise
- Optimize titles, headings, and subheadings with the proper meta tags
- Describe all images using alt text
- Indicate natural anchor text for links
- Add schema and meta descriptions to get featured on snippets
Word of mouth is usually a strong marketing factor when customers gain trust in a brand. In the online world, the equivalent is called backlinks.
Whenever another location on the internet links to one of your web pages, search engines see a backlink and evaluate it. It’s great to have many of those to give Google an indication that your products and services are genuine. However, you need quality, trustworthy backlinks to score those top SERP spots.
For example, one backlink from a highly-authoritative source such as BBC or USA Today holds much more value than one hundred backlinks from unknown blogs.
Building quality backlinks is a high mark to hit, so reaching out to a qualified link-building service is always a good option.
Perfecting User Experience
Search engines are powerful enough to evaluate your website as a real person would. So, if people appreciate a fast, visually stable web page, Google will too.
Considering user experience is crucial for your SEO efforts. For example, customers hate slow-loading websites. As a matter of fact, about 70% of them claim that loading speed is crucial to their decision to buy from an online business.
Other technical aspects that can improve your visitors’ experience and benefit your SEO include:
- Fixing broken links and site errors
- Organizing all of your pages for easy navigation
- Optimizing visual elements to be light in size
- Ensuring the entire website is mobile friendly
- Obtaining an SSL certificate and other safety measures
- Implementing breadcrumb menus and pagination
This was an overall overview of the most important segments of an effective SEO strategy for any website. However, there’s much more to SEO. If you really want to capitalize on it, we encourage you to dive in and learn more about enhancing your website’s potential.
Search engines are constantly developing and keeping their algorithms updated at all times, and the SEO landscape adapts to catch up with these changes. You need to keep up with the latest practices, too, so that you can ensure your SEO strategy always remains effective and contributes to the growth of your business in the long run.